top of page

A person who would like to visit Canada for a holiday (vacation), visit family or friends, or conduct business is required to obtain a Visitor Visa unless he/she is exempted. Visitors are restricted in length of stay and are subjected to various conditions. The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Visitor Visa will be issued by a Canadian visa office abroad and will authorize the person to travel to Canada.

Temporary resident visas may be issued for single or for multiple entries. Usually, single-entry visas are issued for up to six (6) months, while the maximum validity of a multiple entry visa is up to five (5) years or one month prior to the expiry date on the passport/re-entry visa, whichever comes first.

Requirements a person must meet for a Temporary Resident Visa:

  • Satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay

  • Show that they have enough money to maintain themselves and their family members in Canada and to return home

  • No intention to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so

  • Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity

  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada

  • Provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish their admissibility

  • Be in good health (complete a medical examination if required)

Types of Non-immigrant Visas:


A visitor visa allows a person to enter Canada as a tourist for a period of up to six (6) months unless specified otherwise by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer at a Port-of-Entry (POE). 


An Electronic Travel Authorization allows a person from a visa-exempt country to travel to Canada by air. However, if you are traveling to Canada by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. Once an eTA is issued, it will be linked to the traveler's passport and it will be valid for up to five (5) years or until the passport expires or a new passport is issued, whichever comes first. 

Those who are exempt from obtaining an eTA:

  • Those who have already obtained a valid visa to enter Canada.

  • Armed Forces visiting Canada on official duty.

  • Students or Workers who have a valid Canadian study or work permit.

  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators.

  • French citizens who live in and are traveling from St. Pierre and Miquelon.

  • Persons entering from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, while holding valid status in Canada.

  • Accredited diplomats.

  • Canadian citizens and dual citizens (provided you are traveling on a Canadian passport).

  • Canadian permanent residents (you need your PR card or point of entry documentation).

  • US citizens (US permanent residents, or green card holders, DO require an eTA when traveling by air).


A super visa is intended for parents and grandparents of Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens. It will allow them to visit their children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years.


The purpose of this application is to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer). This new document will give you status as a visitor, will allow you to stay longer, and it will include a new expiry date. You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires (at least 30 days prior to the expiration date). 


If you are a temporary resident in Canada and have lost your status (e.g., did not submit an extension of your visitor visa prior to the expiration date), you may apply to restore that status only within 90 days from the date you lost your status. 

bottom of page